April 21, 2011

Destiny and Purpose


For me Easter is a time when I reflect on what Jesus Christ did on the cross of Calvary and the destiny He created for everyone who believes in Him.

This morning in my devotions I was wondering about my life and how God could use someone like me. At times I feel so small and insignificant. Especially when I look at the world and the terrible state of sin and suffering it is in.  

I know the promises of God for my life but, as I am sure others feel at times too, some days the heaviness of life is overwhelming. Questions like, " Why does God keep Christians in the world?" and " How could God further His kingdom using me?" kept bouncing around in my head.

So I turned to the Bible and God answered me.  

Why would God care to use someone like me?  

" Consider your own call, brothers and sisters: not many of you were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong... so that no one might boast in the presence of God... in order that, as it is written, 'Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.'" 

~ I Corinthians 1: 26, 27, 29, + 31

Why do Christians remain in the world? Jesus himself explains the reason through a beautiful and intimate prayer.  He prayed out loud to God so that his disciples could hear the thoughts of his heart.  All of this took place shortly before he entered the Garden of Gethsemane.

" I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word... And now I am no longer in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one... I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. 

They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world... I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them." 

~ John 17: 6, 11, 15-18, + 26

Sometimes the darkness of this present world seems overwhelming.  Circumstances and life in general can feel too heavy. The forces of darkness, our sinful nature, the state of the world... it guarantees our suffering.  Jesus did not mince words about this truth.  Life can and will be very difficult for all of us at some point in time.  But He did not leave us here by ourselves or send us " into the world" just to see us suffer.  There is purpose for our time as human beings.

" So you have pain now; but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you." ~ John 16: 22

" I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you... ' Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.'... But the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you."  ~ John 14: 18, 23, + 26

So this Easter remember that it was you and me that Jesus was thinking about during his crucifixion and resurrection.  The time of his return is coming!  And one day we won't have pain or worry or sorrow anymore.  One day soon Jesus will return and everything will be made right.  There will be joy unlike anything we could ever imagine and the whole world will finally know peace.

He is risen!



  


No comments: