April 27, 2011

A House by the Ocean Cliffs


As far back as I can remember I have always loved the beach and ocean.  I can't swim.  I can't even float.  But I still love boat rides.  I've even played in the deep waters, with a life jacket on of course.  Maybe its the rhythmic sound of the waves or the fresh, clean air that breezes past my face. Or maybe its how the sand feels between my toes or how the sunlight shimmers on the surface of the waters.  All I know is that I love the vastness, the awesome power and majesty that the ocean presents.  There is a wild freedom and joy I experience every time I go.  No matter how many worries or frustrations I might carry on the way there, once I arrive they all seem to just... evaporate.

And I had always thought it would be so nice to live close by the ocean.  I would rise in the mornings and look out my bedroom window to see the ocean reflecting the morning light.  

Okay so there might also be some danger living so close to those wild waters but I'd be willing to live there anyway.

The other day I shared with a close friend how I sometimes daydream of having a house by the ocean cliffs.  A peaceful place where friends and family would always be welcomed.  A place where missionaries could come and be refreshed.  A place where God's incredible power would be in my face every day.  Maybe there would even be a lighthouse to care for.

But those are just daydreams.  After speaking them out loud I felt silly.  Why do I have such fanciful desires?  I mean I could just as easily have friends and family right where I live.  And I do.  But sometimes I close my eyes and I see that place and I just have to wonder... could it be possible for me to actually live that dream?  Nothing is impossible for God, right? :)

" Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires."  Psalm 37:4

"' For I know the plans I have for you', says the Lord, ' They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11


No comments: