May 18, 2012

God Is No Loki



The other day I went with a group of friends to see the new movie, The Avengers.  Having no prior knowledge of Marvel superheroes and villains (I'm a DC gal, sorry) I went a bit apprehensively.  And I have to say that the movie was a lot of fun.  A lot of action, but a lot of fun.  :)  

My point in mentioning the movie is how the idea, " power corrupts," seemed to be a running theme throughout.  The villain, named Loki seen in the photo above, sought complete and absolute power in order to rule as king over all the Earth.

It sounds very similar to the erroneous thinking of Satan, a very real villain to God in the Bible.  

During the credits I was thinking how beautiful the one, true God is.  He has absolute power and authority over everything and yet He is not corrupted by it.  He doesn't seek to use His power to force anyone to love and adore Him.  He gives everyone freedom to choose.

He gives good things to everyone whether-or-not they believe in Him.  Things like: rain, sunlight, oxygen, life, sunsets and sunrises, seasons of the year, food, the seas, the stars, etc. His goodness is endless and He gives it to everyone non discriminantly.

In Hebrew He has many titles such as Elyon.  It means The Most High.  God's ways, His character is beyond us.  He does not treat us the way we deserve.

Getting into my car that night after the movie, I shuddered to think of a god as powerful as God but who would be wicked and cruel and unjust.  Basically what a horrible existence it would be if Loki were real and succeeded at having his way.  Can you imagine?!  Ugh.  But in the movie Loki is defeated by the good guys.  It took a team of superheroes to defeat him.  

In the Bible we learn that, thankfully, Satan was defeated when Christ died on the cross.  And unlike the movie God defeated Satan alone.  He didn't need any help.

There is only Elohim, the one and only God.  Even the beginning of this title tells of God's amazing power.  El means Mighty One.

Loki used a rod like scepter to control and destroy.  His power was in that weapon.  In contrast God doesn't need anything to exert His power and He doesn't need anything to create.

This aspect of His divine nature can comfort us. Whenever we feel like failures, or are tempted to think we have nothing God can use, we can hold on to the truth that Elohim has the power of Ex Nihilo, meaning out of nothing.  


Elyon is in the business of creating beyond our imaginations and chooses to accomplish great things in our lives.  He has a plan for your future in this world.  Believe in God and know that He is good.

"' For I know the plans I have for you,' says the Lord, 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, 
to give you a future and a hope.'" 
Jeremiah 29:11







2 comments:

BelovedBomber said...

My two oldest want to go see the movie. Now you have brought some spiritual insight into it...that makes it even more fun for me. I am so glad that God is loving and just!

Sincerity said...

I'm really picky about movies I watch. There's so much gunk out there. But this was better than most.

I love to think Biblically about everything. I think its a healthy habit to have for a Christian. :)