December 21, 2010

Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse!



I was all set.  I even set my alarm to wake up on time.  But gosh darn-it I slept through it!  I missed the lunar eclipse!  I was so upset this morning.  This was special because it fell on Winter Solstice.  That's when the earth is tilted at its most extreme axis away from the sun.  So anyone up to watch had a rare and gorgeous view of the moon.

And you could watch it without the need for any special glasses or telescopes.  The next chance to see this amazing event will not happen again until 2095.  None of us will still be around to watch.  The next lunar eclipse will fall on 2014 but to see one on Winter Solstice is a once-in-a-lifetime event. *sigh* The last time people were able to watch both together was in 1638!

But if you missed the event, like me, then the next best thing is to find a video of it.  Below is the 2010 Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse.

While we slept the sky was sharing a rare and intimate event.  During the  quiet of our dreams the moon blushed red.  And how beautiful it was...



       " He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted."  Job 9:10







No comments: