September 23, 2014

Do You Fast?



Do you fast?  I suppose if this question were very technical in nature than the answer would be a resounding yes.  Everyone fasts when they sleep.  That's why we have  Breakfast.

But my question is not for the cycle of rest our bodies undergo every night.  The type of fasting I am bringing to the "table" in this post is Biblical fasting.

And let me be the first to say that fasting was never a top priority in my spiritual life.  I had read about it in scripture and for some reason always believed it was for those super spiritual people like the prophet Elijah or beautiful, Godly queens like Esther, or the disciples, or even the Son of God.  But fasting for the every day, ordinary Christian gal?  Really?.... why?

That was the question I often asked whenever this topic came up anywhere.  Why on Earth would a person willingly put themselves through that if it wasn't to lose weight, get over the stomach flu, or prepare for surgery?  It just didn't seem like something a Christian living today had to do.

I used to believe that it wasn't as important as paying your taxes, loving your enemies, and tithing.  But then I was convicted when I read Matthew 6:16.  Jesus begins this verse by saying,

" And when you fast..."

Not IF you fast.

Jesus was talking to his followers and talking in the future tense.  He was giving instruction on what was proper behavior during fasting and expected that fasting would be a natural part of the Christian life.

Hm.  It wasn't a part of mine.  Once I realized this I knew I had to make a decision.  Would I obey in this or... not.  I certainly had a list of reasons why it would be better to just ignore this verse.  I mean, I'm a tiny, petite young woman to begin with.  I struggle to gain weight and keep it on.  So to skip meals for several days at a time just didn't seem wise.

So I took this excuse to the Lord in prayer and He led me to examples of different fasting.  Some were as long as forty days!  Others were as short as one skipped meal.  The one commonality of each type of fasting was that the faster (fastee?) would spend their time praying and reading the Bible instead of eating.

So, I understood that fasting meant serious one-on-one time with the Lord but why does He expect us to do it in the first place if we are already reading and praying each day?

When I went back to the Bible for this answer I learned that fasting always precipitated breakthroughs in the lives of those who fasted and sometimes in those who were the subject of those prayers.  And then the lightbulb turned on in my head.  There have been a few areas in my life were I was still waiting for answers. There were some areas in my life where I was still struggling. Fasting helped me and I'm so encouraged that I felt it a good idea to encourage each of you to do it too.

As I stated earlier I really can't handle a long fast.  And before you try fasting do pray about it first and do your own research concerning how the body is affected by skipped meals.  Please use common sense and know that fasting may not be possible for everyone such as: diabetics, pregnant or nursing women, the very sick, the very old, the malnourished, and people on medications.  A person who fasts should be healthy at the time of fasting.

When I began fasting I decided to start by skipping one meal and spend all that time with the Lord.  After a few tries I felt good about skipping two consecutive meals.  I paid attention to how I felt emotionally, spiritually, and physically by writing in a journal my experiences.

Work days keep coming don't they?  So either plan to fast on a weekend or when you won't have a heavy load of responsibilities at your job. I started keeping track of how much time, in terms of days, my body would need to be back to full strength and scheduled accordingly.

I also began planning what would be acceptable to ingest.  Under no circumstances should anyone be fasting for lengthy periods of time without drinking anything!  There are exceptions in the Bible but those were special cases and miracles in their own right.  Forty-day fasts must be planned and carefully monitored.  The Holy Spirit will never ask someone to do anything that would be detrimental to their health.  The idea of fasting is to achieve a closer relationship with the Lord in this world, not just the next.

After a time of practicing fasting for two meals I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to fast for a full 24 hours.  Because of my physical needs I did continue to drink water and fruit juice in the form of orange juice and apple juice.  I also prepared several days in advance by eating smaller meals as I drew closer to my fast in order to help my stomach transition.  I also planned my meals after the fast. 

I was careful not to do anything physically strenuous the day before, during, and after my fast.  I wrote down a list of things I wished to bring before the Lord and I asked for His direction in planning what to focus on in Bible reading.

I made certain to get a good night's rest before and after my fast and I removed all distractions as much as possible.  And I decided to put on a summer dress. Something I felt pretty and presentable in since Jesus is my best friend and I like looking good for my friends.  It really did help me get focused on why I was fasting in the first place.

Things I noticed:    

As long as I kept to a scheduled time of drinking the hunger pains were minimal.  
I did experience feeling cold later in the day and had a warm tea and put on a blanket.  
It soon passed.  

I was careful not to stand up too quickly to avoid dizziness.

I experienced several breakthroughs concerning my life and God spoke to me profoundly through His Word.  I feared I would run out things to pray about but I never did.

I did experience a few bouts of fatigue.  By the end of the 24 hours I was quite tired.  
In fact I did take a short 20 minute nap during the day.

After the fast I felt renewed, invigorated, and very happy and content as I haven't felt in a long time.  And those feelings have lasted to this day.  I have no doubt it is because of the time I spent seeking the Lord and I want more.

Something to keep in mind is that not every prayer will be answered as we wish.  God cannot be manipulated.  He is not a genie in a bottle.  

You will probably face opposition but if the Holy Spirit is leading you then obey Him anyway.  It is soooo worth it!

Never fast in order to brag about it.  Fasting is to humble us.  No one is "more spiritual" by fasting since we are all called to do so.   Those are common reasons why other religions fast (monks, nuns, etc.).  Fasting can never replace salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.

I will continue to incorporate fasting into my life and I hope that you will too.  The benefits are wonderful and if you are struggling with strongholds in your life, or if you are wrestling with defeat or discouragement, then let me urge you to fast.  

No way around it.  Fasting is hard work.  So start small... one meal and go wherever God leads you from there.  It is possible to fast.  You can do it!  God will help you as He did I and so many others.

And when fast you will be joining the ranks of Christians leaders who rocked the world.  People like:  Martin Luther, John Calvin, Charles Finney, etc.

Blessings to you as you seek to know the Lord more deeply.



  






2 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

I would love to fast. But with hypoglycemia... and a predisposition to blood clotting, no can do. But I did want to ask. When you fast, is it usually like a complete fast in which you eat NOTHING at all, or when you eat ONLY rice (for example) for five days... or I mean, does it work in many ways or...? It'd be nice to know. I have thought about fasting a lot. (hiiii!!!!!)

Sincerity said...

FurryBottoms: Hello! Thank you for your questions. There are different types of fasts. I didn't get into the types of fasts in this post but I hope to in a future post.

Having said that, the fast I shared in this post was a Full Fast. This means that I drank liquids, mostly water, and/or clear broth.

A Total Fast is not consuming anything, water or food. This can be very dangerous to the human body and if done should only be practice for a few days and always with supervision.

There is also the Partial Fast where you might choose to skip one meal, or fast for a set number of hours, or giving up one drink/food item.

If you feel the Lord impressing on you to do a fast then do it! Perhaps you could do a specific food or activity fast where one thing you enjoy is stopped for a period of time, or one food/drink item you enjoy is stopped for a period of time.

Whatever fast you choose remember to focus that time of sacrifice on God. Let Him lead you in what to do.

Blessings to you!