August 27, 2011

In The Eye Of The Storm


Sometimes there are things that happen in life simply because we live in a broken world.  Everything suffers, including nature.  Recently everyone who lives in the North East of the United States is experiencing concern over Hurricane Irene.  Already reports are coming in of a few casualties and serious flooding.

It is the flooding and high winds that make being anywhere near a hurricane so dangerous. Just like in a tornado anything that doesn't have deep roots, or isn't anchored down becomes a projectile capable of creating terrible damage.  

Currently I'm praying for several friends and relatives who live in the path of this storm.  I've been in touch with them off and on over the past few days but all storms are a bit unpredictable so there is some concern.  And winds have been very strong where I live too.  In my town we are hoping for the best in that the many trees in our area don't blow over during this storm.

My heart goes out to those who have already lost their homes, property, and/or loved ones.  I know there will be more loss to come in the next forty-eight hours.  So please pray for everyone on the North East of the United States.  

All this nasty weather also reminds me of God's power.  He can be as powerful as a mighty wind, such as he was to Elijah.  God can also sooth and calm the storms in our hearts and minds just as the psalmist, king David, stated in Psalms.  At the same time it is wise to be reminded of our own frailty.  God says in his word that we are nothing but a breath, a vapor that is here one moment and then gone the next.

As I ponder over the loss of material possessions many families and businesses are going through right now, I think again about all the blessings God has given me.  And not just me but anyone who has more than they need to survive.  We are all incredibly blessed!  And how abundantly!  So many of us have health and loved ones to share life with.  That makes us incredibly rich!

I can live without the "stuff."  I wouldn't think twice about choosing to save someone I love over something I own.  And as I think on these things I realize that I, and everyone left untouched by this storm, have a responsibility to aid those who lose so much.  I'm already trying to brain storm how I can help.  And as long as God provides me with strength and life I want to help as many people as I can.  Financially, through my time, through my words... I want to live a life that reflects Christ's love.  

May God bless you and may God protect and aid those who are suffering at this moment.  May He find Christians who are willing and ready to live for Christ and be the tools He uses to bring comfort and healing to those who need it.


" When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, ' Silence! Be still!' Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm.  Then he asked them, ' Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?'" 

Mark 4: 39 + 40  




No comments: