September 27, 2010

Clutter


I have been blessed to overflowing with many physical treasures.  That's my nice way of saying I have a lot of stuff.  And when you have a lot of stuff clutter is never far away.  Its amazing how nice the house can look when I know company is coming!  But invariably it is a false organization because most of the things that were laying around simply get placed in a closet or bedroom until they can be taken out again.

And our spiritual lives can be in exactly the same situation.  When we go to "christian" activities, meet with "christian" friends, etc.  we tend to "clean up our act."  But it isn't a permanent change.  We sweep things under the rug.  We want to present ourselves as someone we normally are not behind closed doors or with our family.

Why?

Because we're trying to impress people.  Which is contrary to what the Bible teaches.  We are suppose to be more concerned about impressing God.  With Him we can't hide anything!  He sees our "clutter" exactly as it is.  And yet He still loves us and cares for us!

God has convicted me of this sin.  I hate to call it that at times because it comes to me so naturally.  But it is the ugly truth.  I like striving to please people.  It makes me feel good about myself when others accept me and think highly of me.  But I am learning that this should never be the ultimate goal of my life.  God is helping me to "clean up" my intentions behind my actions.

I ask myself probing questions now such as:  

"What is my reason for going to this event?"

"What do I hope people will think about?"

"Will I be glorifying God or myself?"

"Is there any way my actions today will help someone else in need?"

I fail many times but I cling to God's love and grace.  I accept the fact that I am a work in progress.  We all are.  And I sense His presence more keenly when I strive to follow His advice in my life.

At the same time, I am now tackling the literal clutter around the house.  I am learning that its too overwhelming to try and organize every room at the same time.  So I focus on one or two rooms and within them I concentrate on one corner or stack.  Little-by-little I'm starting to make headway!  It doesn't always happen as quickly as I would like but it is happening.

And that is the way of the Christian life.  God expects us to trust Him to complete the ultimate and overwhelming job of changing our hearts and minds.  But He also expects us to do our part.  We have to keep trying to be more like Him.  And the only way we can do that is by studying His word and searching for ways to apply what He teaches to our lives.

So if you have some "clutter" in your life there is never a better time than the present to start cleaning up.  Ask God for wisdom to know where and how to start and trust Him to provide you with the strength to continue when things are difficult.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  ~ Philippians 4:13









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally relate. Pride is probably the most common sin and one that most effectively cripples our service to God. By God's grace, we can slowly surrender it to Him.