February 12, 2008

Large is the new Small



In the United States there is a growing epidemic... obesity. There are a lot of reasons for the alarming numbers. Some doctors believe folks are living more sedentary lives and that's why so many people are unhealthily large. Others think that folks are generally more unhappy with their lives and turn to " comfort food" as a way to cope. But even though these things may very well contribute to the growing problem, no pun intended, I think one of the biggest issues is that portions are simply too big in the United States. Go anywhere food is served and you'll know what I mean. Restaurants, buffets, all-you-can-eat, fast food, even cafes are doing it! Did anyone notice how Starbucks " small" size used to be the medium size just a few years ago?

European countries, Asian countries, and even most Central American countries see our portions as "too big." They have smaller plates and serve themselves smaller portions. Many who come to visit our country cannot believe how much Americans eat! I don't know how the bigger portions really became so popular here in the US but it isn't a good thing. Eating excessively has never been an issue for me but that's because my parents raised awareness of my eating habits since I was little. Perhaps that's the key for younger generations.

I think that the youth are getting mixed messages when it comes to eating right. They know to exercise but that's only half the solution. Most don't even know how to prepare food from scratch. TV meals and Betty Crocker just can't replace home-made meals nor can they be healthier. * Sigh* Its a problem. But as long as people turn to food franchises for their dietary needs things are not going to get any better. So its up to each of us to find out for ourselves what's healthy and what's not. That means reading the nutrition facts, the ingredients, and researching about strange words we don't understand. Its work... but its worth it. And if it sounds like too much work, then remember that fresh vegetables and fruits make awesome " fast food!" You can never go wrong with those!

But now to lighten the mood a bit, I give you a tribute to the " large-is-the-new -small" servings. ( you may want to turn the volume up on your computer):)



Okay, I'll admit that I'm not a pure vegetarian. I know fruits and veggies are better for me than tacos, pizza, and cheeseburgers. But I'm not always successful at avoiding them. And I know I'm not the only one. Even so, I don't think its ever too late to try and improve eating habits. I'll be posting more about unhealthy habits in eating, or not eating, and how they affect the human body. I thought doing a series like this would be good not just for you readers but also for myself. :) So... for this week don't stop eating what you normally eat. Instead, study yourself. Notice what you crave, what causes you to crave, and what you eat to fill the crave. Until next time! :)

" And God said, Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat." ~Genesis 1:29

2 comments:

Sasha said...

Ahhhhh, I so agree! :) Our portion sizes are huge. Fast-food restaurants get a lot of flack, but if you compare them to chain restaurants like Applebees and the like, the chain restaurants are so much unhealthier. My ex-boyfriend used to complain about gaining weight, but the chicken caesar salad he would eat for lunch to be "healthy" had like 2,000 calories in it :/ When you make it yourself I don't think it's as bad because you control what goes into your meal.

Sincerity said...

sasha:

Yeah, I think making your own meals is always better... not always more convenient though. Unless one is thinking about health benefits down the road. :)